Thursday, July 15, 2010

Summer Biking

When I was a kid, maybe seven to 12 years old, I spent a lot of summer time on a bike - often with a beagle running alongside on a leash.  It was a great form of exercise, it got me from Point A to Point B in my made-up travels, and kept me out of trouble.  I could spend hours riding up and down my grandparents' long driveway.

As I got older my interest in bicycles as modes of transportation faded.  Horses were the only slow way to go - and that was for fun and competition.  When I finally got my license at 19 cars were the way to travel.

Now I live near a bike path that has been created over an old railroad bed.  This particular one is 17 miles long, although I've only ventured as far as about five miles out and back for a total of 10 miles.  Until last fall I'd only used the bike path for walking my dogs; discovering my old bike in storage renewed my interest and I decided to give it a try.

What makes me happy about biking is that it's a free, easy form of exercise.  You can just go along and hear the birds chirping and breathe in the fresh air.  It's even nice to do when it's hot because the air feels cooler when you're moving quickly!

A few weeks ago my dad found a discarded bike for my fiance.  It had a broken brake cable; $5 at Walmart and 10 minutes of our time and the bike was as good as new.  Now we ride together.  I also invested $16 in a gel seat cushion for my trusty teal bike; longer rides are a little comfier now but not too much.

Connecting Bikers; Raising Awareness?

When I see bicycle riders in their snazzy shirts and helmets whizzing along the side of the road (often well into my lane, not on the shoulder as they should be), Lance Armstrong pops into my head and I get annoyed.  I try not to be one of those riders.  In fact, I haven't really biked off the path so far.


Are these riders part of an exclusive club?  I tried finding a Facebook or Twitter page for local biking resources or tips.  I know there's another path nearby and thought surely there must be other places to ride off-road (but still paved).


I came up negative on my search for social media sites to connect bike riders.  There was a website to connect riders; however, it appeared to be out of date and somewhat "members-only".

What gives?

No comments:

Post a Comment