Wednesday, January 12, 2011

iPhone for Verizon: Will it Impact Social Media?

Now that Verizon has really, truly, officially released the news that it will release a version of the iPhone 4 in February, what changes will occur?  Yes, the Verizon network has some limitations (no browsing while talking) but I don't do that while I use my Android-based phone anyway.

Smart phones are gaining market share.  I was holding out for an iPhone for a long time - refusing to switch to AT&T - until I learned about the Android platform.  Still, there are many "i" loyalists who will jump at the chance to own an iPhone.

What Does This Mean for Social Media?
More users with smart phones means more instant updates.  When I had a regular flip phone I struggled to update my Facebook status or to tweet via SMS text message.  It had to be a really good update otherwise it wasn't worth the effort.

My smart phone has an icon right on the "desktop" that links to the Facebook or Twitter app and within seconds I've reached an interface that looks very similar to the website version.  I type out my status update and boom, it appears.  Simple.

As soon as people realize how easy it is they'll be Facebooking, tweeting, checking in, and everything else like old pros in no time.

Blogging's a different story - it depends on one's comfort level with the touch keypad or in the case of my Droid, virtual keyboard.  My fingers can't handle long typing sessions so to the computer it is for blogging.

Being Present and Immediate
Another cool aspect of smart phones is that they allow you to take a photo and immediately send it anywhere via just about any platform.  Within seconds, people knew our rental car has been broken into in Seattle.  (I was really documenting it for insurance purposes, but it was "fun" to share.)  I made a few friends jealous by proving I was sitting behind equine legend George Morris at the Maclay final at the Pennsylvania National Horse Show (he was judging).  You can show off the fact that you're on vacation (see right).  And for work-related purposes you can share images of your company at that trade show/conference or company outing.

Tracking Growth
Facebook should be an easy place to start measuring.  It often notes when an item was uploaded from an iPhone and an increase in these will probably start to appear in coming months.

No comments:

Post a Comment