Saturday, November 10, 2012

iPhone vs. Android and Social Media

When I last wrote about the iPhone coming to Verizon and its links to an increase in social media activity almost two years ago, I was on the right track!  Social media via smartphone is increasingly popular.  Most platforms (Android and iOS) now build social media right into the phone.

For example, on the iPhone 5 (yes, I went over to the dark side, and I'll tell you why in another blog entry), a set-up option includes logging into your Facebook account and having all of the information integrate with your contacts.  My Android also did this, but as the technology has improved it's even more seamless this time around.

It's no secret that mobile phone use is increasing.  Just check out this graph from marketingcharts.com:

While social media isn't one of the largest use areas, keep in mind that this chart covers all mobile phones, so it makes sense that texting would score higher.  (Some phones don't have the ability to access social media.)

Despite Apple opening up to more carriers, Android still has the largest share of the market, according to this chart from macobserver.com:

Apple continues to grow.  Whether or not a user ultimately goes with iOS or Android depends on a number of factors.  I'll give you a sneak peak into why I made the switch:  usability.  I don't care so much about customization; consistent performance is more important to me.  As more people from the older generation begin using smartphones they will likely be interested in finding a device that's easy to use and does what they ask of it.

Back to the original question of how smartphones have changed social media.  Just look at your Facebook timeline.  About half of the posts by my friends come from some sort of mobile device.  What about yours?

No comments:

Post a Comment